Financial Aid 101: General Information
How do I apply for financial aid?
By completing either the FAFSA OR CA DREAM Act application you will be applying for all of the financial aid opportunities below. There are eligiblity requirements for the different types of financial aid listed below so it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with them. For more information please visit: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types
What are the different types of Financial Aid?
Free $$$ that you DO NOT have to pay back includes:
- Grants– Cal Grants (state grant), Pell Grant (federal grant), FSEOG (federal), Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waivers (State-Community College ONLY)
- Scholarships– academic, institution, other achievements (member of a church or organization, through your parents work, etc.)
- Work-study– Will be placed at a job location to work part-time to earn money to pay for college.
Money that is NOT FREE and has to be paid back includes:
- Federal Student Loan Program (US Dept. of Education is lender): Direct Subsidized Loans (demonstrates financial need), Direct Unsubsidized Loans (does not have to demonstrate financial need)
- Federal Perkins Loan (institution is lender)